Sunday 22 July 2012

Wassup?

No, not “Wassup?” but rather “What’s SUP?”

SUP is short for Stand Up Paddleboarding, which is becoming increasingly popular with naturalists and sports enthusiasts alike. The board looks like an oversized surfboard, but it’s wider and sturdier, allowing you to stand up on it with little fear of falling into the water. One of the advantages of SUP is its greater vantage point, offering awesome views of whatever creatures dwell in the waters beneath. On the day we paddled in Tomales Bay near the town of Inverness, about an hour north of San Francisco, we saw several jellyfish, a bat ray, and a silver blob that I think was a small shark.

It was overcast and rather chilly when we ventured out, and I was initially reluctant to leave the shore until I realized I wouldn’t get wet. Even with a bad knee, I felt rather stable on the board, stable enough to grab several self-portraits (that’s me on the right).

I highly recommend SUP for everyone of at least fair to moderate fitness level and suggest finding an outfitter where you can rent a board by the hour. We used Blue Waters Kayaking for our SUP experience and were very pleased with the experience. All it takes is a paddleboard, paddle, and of course, a PFD (personal flotation device).


~Lori Dotson, CPT, CPFT, PES, BA, MS
President, DotsoFit, LLC

Copyright © 2012