Wednesday 21 September 2011

The Case Against the Kettlebell

Okay, maybe I’m just trying to stir up some controversy today, but I am going to say this right here, right now, that I think kettlebells are dangerous, especially for novice and older athletes. I was once enthused, maybe even over enthused, by the Kettlebell Swing workout after watching a cute young stud demonstrate his total-body kettlebell workout on a late-night infomercial. I was even disappointed that my local YMCA did not have them, citing potential danger to others, but now I see these swinging weights as dangerous projectiles that tear rotator cuffs, damage back/arm muscles, and endanger fellow exercisers.

First, let me provide the good news. Yes, it is true that when performed properly, kettlebells can provide a total-body workout, engaging most of the muscles of the body, just like the stud on late-night television claimed.

Now, the bad news. Most users do not know how much weight they should be swinging, lack the strength necessary to complete the exercises, and use poor body posture and alignment.

The result is injury, anything from muscle strain to muscle tear, or even taking out the guy next to you.

Sure, there are other exercises that are equally dangerous, but I think what makes kettlebells more so is their accessibility. You are more likely to see a new club member swinging kettlebells than trying a deadlift. And this is where my criticism comes in. While I agree that kettlebells can provide an excellent workout to the trained individual, I feel that in general, the risk of injury is not worth the fitness benefit for the average exerciser.

If you disagree with me, I’d like to hear from you. Please comment on this post or send me an email at lori@dotsofit.com and I would be happy to publish any rebuttals.

As always, be safe, train smart, and have fun because life is too short to have it any other way! Ciao!

~Lori Dotson, CPT
President, DotsoFit, LLC

Copyright © 2011