Friday 2 September 2011

Testy Tarantula on the Turquoise Trail

Last weekend we experienced the trail of silver spoons on E. Jemez Hwy into Los Alamos (8/29/11 post) and today we battled a testy tarantula intent on committing suicide on N-14 (the Turquoise Trail). Who knew cycling could be so much fun!

Just past the San Pedro Creek Overlook area on N-14, I looked up to see how far my husband Rick had gotten ahead of me when to my surprise I see he is off his bike, dancing around in the middle of the highway. Cars were approaching from the north and south and I was convinced my husband had lost his mind. I started yelling, “Cars are coming!” to which he merely put up his hands to slow the flow of traffic. Once I got a little closer, I saw the big, furry creature straddling the center linea tarantula that obviously had plans of its own. 

He looked so cuddly!
The stubborn arachnid refused to get out of the road and even raised and pointed his abdomen in my direction in an act of defiance. Then I heard a strange noise emanating from the little guy and since I don't think spiders can talk, I can only assume he was trying to shoot something at me. Poison? Pee?

Anyway, we could not hold traffic off forever, and the fuzzy creature narrowly escaped death several times as tires barely missed his plump body. In between passing cars, we gently swept him across the road until he made it to the shoulder. Then I looked away for just a moment and when I looked up again, he was gone, but I was left with a happy feeling inside because I had been blessed with seeing a tarantula today.
Heading to Madrid on N-14 (Turquoise Trail)

Although the tarantula was definitely the highlight of our ride, we continued to enjoy the rest of our trip up to Madrid. It was much hillier than I remember so if you're planning this trip be prepared; however, it was very enjoyable and the downhills more than made up for the hill climbs. Our roundtrip ride from La Madera (just north of the Crest Rd) to Madrid was about 47 miles and took approximately 90 minutes each direction. And there were plenty of other cyclists out there to aid in the event of a mechanical, which I experienced on the way up there (who knew a broken water bottle cage could make so much noise?)

Rick and Lori getting ready to leave Madrid
Once in Madrid, we were joined by my sister and my Dad at the Java Junction for a relaxing cup of java and a scone before heading back. To map this route, go to Google Maps, type in Sandia Park, NM, and Madrid, NM, as the two endpoints, and you will get the approximate route.



As always, go out there and make it a great day!

~Lori Dotson, CPT
President, DotsoFit, LLC

All Rights Reserved (2011)