Tuesday 20 December 2011

Soccer Records

Those of you who know me well, know that soccer holds a special place in my heart. I played competitive soccer in the 1970s and 80s until I was sidelined with a knee injury. However, I continued to play in recreational leagues through the mid-1990s. I've coached youth soccer throughout my life, and today, I am still involved in soccer as an AYSO Regional Soccer Referee. That is what makes today's post so special for me. In the next couple of paragraphs, I will lay out some soccer trivia (world records) that you may not be aware of. Enjoy!

High Scorer
Brazilian Edson Arantes do Nascimento, better known as "Pele," was a household name when I was a kid. "Soccer" and "Pele" were nearly synonymous and no wonder, Pele managed to score a record 1,279 goals in 1,363 games throughout his career, which spanned from September 7, 1956, to October 1, 1977.

Biggest Paycheck
David Beckham, midfielder for the Los Angeles Galaxy, earned a record $40 million in 2009. However, nearly $33 million of that came from sponsorships.

Old Guy
Roger Milla of Cameroon, who was born on May 20, 1952, played in the 1994 FIFA World Cup finals against Russia at the age of 42 years, 39 days, becoming not only the oldest player in a FIFA World Cup but also the oldest scorer in a FIFA World Cup final.

Too Many Kicks
The record for the longest soccer penalty kick shootout was set in the 2005 Namibian Cup when 48 penalty kicks were taken before KK Palace defeated the Civics 17-6, following a 2-2 tie in regular time.

Fastest soccer shot
See Friday, 12/16 Post!

~Lori Dotson, CPT, CPFT, PES, BA, MS 
President and Trainer, DotsoFit, LLC

Copyright © 2011