Wednesday 20 July 2011

Do What You Love, Love What You Do! My Story…

In October 2008 my life changed forever when my 11-year-old daughter lay semiconscious in the intensive care unit with severe ketoacidosis from undiagnosed Juvenile (insulin-dependent) diabetes. Not only did this event change our lives, but it also made me realize just how fragile life is and how important it is to be passionate about life and the things that you do. But the only way to be passionate is to truly enjoy what you do for a living.

I was working as a scientist at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, and one day a colleague of mine described our jobs as “trading time for money”. I thought to myself, this just isn’t the way life should be. So, two years after that fateful week in the hospital with my daughter, I enrolled in a certified personal trainer class at the University of New Mexico. It just felt right to me. I knew a lot about training from a lifetime of coaching and training myself and others for various athletic competitions.

I passed my CPT exams in the fall of 2010, but I hung on at Sandia Labs until January 28, 2011, when I made the final leap to become a full-time coach and trainer. I also went on to get certified by the American Council on Exercise and the National Academy of Sports Medicine. Finally, I incorporated, forming DotsoFit, LLC, in the summer of 2011.

And now I am… doing what I love!

~Lori Dotson, CPT, CPFT, PES, BA, MS
President, DotsoFit, LLC

All Rights Reserved (2011)